Unfortunately Jellyfish and other toxic sea animals are part and parcel when it comes to swimming at the beach. Chances of your dog getting a stung by a Jellyfish may be low but it is worth knowing what to do to treat a Jellyfish sting in the event it ever does occur.
There are many different species of Jellyfish in the ocean with their own different type of toxins however the most common signs of a Jellyfish sting in dogs include:
- changes in heart rhythm
To treat a Jellyfish sting in your dog the first concern is to remove any stingers. This can be done by soaking the area in seawater (never use fresh water) to stop any further toxins from being released by the Jellyfish tentacles. If you happen to have vinegar or 70% alcohol solution this will also help.
It is best to still seek veterinary treatment to make sure that your dog has no further reaction or symptoms of the Jellyfish sting.
It’s always best to be prepared.
Written by Suzanna - PuppyPages Founder
The information on PuppyPages website is not meant to replace first hand treatment of your dog by a professional vet. Always consult your vet for medical and health care advice. You should not rely on any of the information on this website for medical diagnosis, treatment options or other health care decisions about your pet. When possible we have articles fact checked by experienced Vets and Vet Nurses. Read full Disclaimer here